Saturday, December 5, 2009

Fudge Part I: White Chocolate Eggnog Fudge



It has gotten chilly in Seattle! Which of course means it is time for hot cocoa, homemade marshmallows, soups, new tires on my car and lots n' lots of fudge making.

I wasn't sure where I would start my holiday fudge making marathon, but I knew I had to try my hand at eggnog fudge this year. This is my first time making eggnog fudge and I absolutely love the flavor. I am a sucker for nutmeg, what can I say. The texture is very smooth and a just smidgen softer than I am used to with fudge, but perhaps that is just because it just needs to sit a little longer to fully set. I fully admit that once It was set enough to cut, I dug in, so maybe I just need to be a little more patient. Regardless, this stuff is delicious.

To finish my fudge I cut it into squares and individually wrapped each in a small piece of waxed paper. They are cute, tidy little packages now, perfect for giving away... not that I am going to do that. These are all mine.

(Edit: I've since cooled the squares completely in my fridge and the texture is now perfect)



White Chocolate Eggnog Fudge:
Adapted from recipezaar
yields roughly 64 pieces

2 cups granulated sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 cup fresh eggnog
11 ounces chopped white chocolate
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon rum extract

nutmeg for sprinkling

Line a 9x9 inch pan with buttered foil.

Combine sugar, butter and eggnog into a heavy bottomed sauce pan--I almost always use nonstick for my candy making--and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, attach a candy thermometer and reduce the heat to a hair above medium low and cook for 10-15 minutes until your thermometer reads 234°F , stirring constantly.

Once your mixture hits the appropriate temperature, remove from heat and add chocolate stirring vigorously until chocolate is melted and smooth. Add the marshmallow creme, nutmeg and rum extract and mix until well blended.

Pour the mixture into your pan and sprinkle with more fresh ground nutmeg. Allow to cool on a wire rack until room temperature. Cut, wrap, and you're good to go.

14 comments:

  1. This is just the inspiration I needed for a bake sale tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made fudge before, but after seeing these, I think I'll definitely consider adding fudge to my holiday baking list this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with the packaging of each little piece of eggnog fudge. It may be just a piece of wax paper but it sure adds to the presentation. Delightful! Would make a super gift. I don't think anyone in my family would eat this recipe but I know a ton of friends that would. Hmmm...I might just have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, the little wax paper packages are pretty cute. I think I am in compulsive holiday wrapping mode. I had to stop myself from putting little ribbons on them...

    I'm working out the kinks for a new pomegranate fudge recipe and some chocolate versions at the moment. So, hopefully I'll have something to sweet to ogle for all the non-eggnog lovers out there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...my waist is widening just reading the recipe but I'm fearless, they must be tasted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dessert had my husband's name written all over it from the time I saw the title! I made a batch tonight and am just waiting for it to cool. Now if only I can get the wax paper wrappers to look as cool as yours! :-) Thanks for the great recipe!

    Incidentally, I didn't see when you were supposed to add the 1/2 tsp nutmeg. I added it with the extract and marshmallow creme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. You're correct in adding it when you add the extract and creme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Cow! I made this tonight and it is so yummy! My diet doesn't like you at all--but I'm loving your photography and your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Twas a hit at the Potlach (aka: potluck) party that I attended tonight. Since I hang out with a bunch of sciency-type folk and cooking-type folk, I mentioned your blog a few times. Don't be surprised if you have a couple more visitors :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first try at fudge tonight and it turned out really yummy. How do you make yours so smooth and flat? Mine has some little marks from the foil and the top has ridges and swirls. Any suggestions? I am making the eggnog fudge tomorrow and may have to make the pom now. It sounds wonderful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I make sure my foil is as smooth as possible in my pan. I give the fudge a quick couple of swipes with a large rubber spatula after I pour it into the pan. Then I tap the pan on the counter a couple times to bring up any air little bubbles and settle the mixture into a smooth even surface.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aahhhh, makes sense. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made the fudge again this year. It's been a huge hit with my friends! Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made these today! Amazing!! My first attempt at fudge. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails