Sunday, December 27, 2009

She Had A Plan...



Party is over, time to take a little break from the holiday/birthday madness. At least I had Mother Humble around to assist and of course by 'assist', I mean take control and override me in her special motherly way.

She relieved me of all duties related to cooking for the littlest Humble's birthday party today. Mother Humble just booted me out of the kitchen, telling me she had 'a plan'. So I turned her loose, not that I or anyone else had the power to stop her.

That's just how Mother Humble rolls.



So she whipped up an array of little tea sandwiches and other snacks for the mid-afternoon party spread from all the ingredients I had bought for MY plan. These included Curried Chicken & Apple, English Cheddar & Spring Onion, Turkey & Cranberry, BLT, Pastrami & Swiss, PB&J, Cream Cheese & Cucumber, Egg Salad, Smoked Salmon & Dill and at least two others. All laid out on slate boards with chalk descriptions for the guests.

She also set out blanched vegetables, salads, deviled eggs, my husband's Chinese BBQ pork and whatever else she wanted.

I got to have fun playing 'tornado whips through the doll house' with the birthday girl.



Happy birthday kiddo. Your mom would appreciate a nice long nap on Monday.

14 comments:

  1. Great idea, using slates as trays/chalkboards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that one...very creative you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really like the idea of using chalkboards as serving trays! Way cool and solves the ...what is that question from everyone! I have to say that your chocolate butterfly cake is beautiful too! Looking forward to following in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... sandwiches! Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those sandwiches look so cute and yummy! and i *love* the idea of using slate boards as serving trays. where do you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the eggs, I love love LOVE the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this feeling. We all love our parents, but there are those moments where you fantasize about bopping them on the head with an empty paper towel roll and firmly saying "Down, girl!" That's when you step into the next room, eat a cookie, take a deep breath, and practice those patience skills!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on surviving Christmas and a Dec. 27th birthday. I did too! Your butterfly cake is much more lovely than my "Blue Dinorella" cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother is going to love, love, love that paper-towel roll 'down girl' comment so much. It will crack her up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now we see where you got your kitchen-genes. ;-)
    Also, I want one of those sandwiches, please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mother Humble sounds like an excellent cook, a wonderful mother and a downright exceptional human being.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mom, if you ever start your own blog THAT should be the description. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails