Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Wii, Xbox, PS3 Controller Sugar Cookies



Time for a different kind of nerdy cookies, the gamer sort.

These cookies were suggested to me by my brother-in-law, who is an avid gamer. I admit to being a bit of a... well I'll just use a venn diagram to explain:



Make sense?

I actually have all these consoles in my house (and several older systems). I figure owning them all is socially acceptable since I am still my 20s (just barely). Though I won't pretend that I am in any way a skilled gamer. For example, I'm that person in Halo who gets confused by the controls and just spins around while other people walk up and throw grenades at them. Yea, I'm that person. Since having a child, my gaming has been limited to doing yoga on my Wii Fit.

So the cookies, this was my first attempt at making controller cookies. Usually I don't post the practice-cookies on the blog but these were neat enough that I'll go ahead and post pics. Usually when trying out a new cookie I do a couple test batches, work out all the kinks and settle on a design. With these, there was so many steps with long drying periods between each that I wasn't feeling up to starting another batch last night.

For now, the beta-cookies will have to do. So here we go: PS3, Xbox and Wii controllers (click for a larger version).



They need more careful icing next time, so they look more polished. I usually ice my practice cookies rather quickly, so next time I attempt these they'll have a more refined look. I do like the texture of the thumb pads on the PS3 controller. Though I won't do that next time on the Xbox D pads, since they are smooth. I also think I may apply a little silver luster dust to the metalic X box logo next time.

To make these, I used my normal sugar cookie and icing recipes (linked here).

To tint my icing I used the following Americolor gels:
Super Black
Avocado
Leaf Green
Navy Blue
Super Red
Bright White
Egg Yellow


I also used a little dark gray sanding sugar.

To make the cookies I free hand cut out the shapes, then baked them and allowed them to completely cool. I then outlined each and flooded them with the controller appropriate colored icing. I allowed the flooding to dry for several hours and then pipped on buttons, sprinkling the D pads with gray sugar. After all that had set, I piped on the remaining details.

I also want to make a classic NES controller next time, just because I am feeling nostalgic for those childhood thumb calluses.

(edit: Yes, I know they are not called 'Wii controllers', that they are in fact 'Wii remotes' or 'Wiimotes'. I hope that I didn't incite painful levels of nerd-rage in any sensitive gamer types by incorrectly, and so cavalierly, referring to them as wii controllers.)

51 comments:

  1. Um...for practice cookies those are pretty gosh darned amazing!!!! Love your Venn diagram! I'm a baker-scientist-general geek, but not a gamer--I'm definitely the person who mashes all the buttons until something happens! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are sooo cool!! My husband would love it if he came home from work and I had made these! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...you're making my 7yo aspiring scientist reconsider his career decisions :) Or perhaps like your Venn diagram indicates, he can be both a scientist and a baker?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous on the talent! God I want cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the power button on the Wii controller is amazing...I'd love to watch you pipe these details. Your fine motor skills are pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh - these are incredible! I'm a total gamer, it's ridiculous. Chuck in a Megadrive pad cookie and you've got me going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I eat the xbox controller?
    looks very nice

    hahaha...

    if I could I would eat them until they run out

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just recently started following... you are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I make a request for cheese cookies? Your cookies are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What kind of cheese, and I'm since I am curious... why cheese cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg they are so cute! every gamer's must-have cookies ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. My personal venn diagram looks just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I really like your gaming cookies. Thats a really good idea, I love baking and I have never thought of this. Maybe you'd be interested in the project we are doing. Its sort of like a nation wide book club. My blog gives a brief description but if you go to www.AnnotationSensation.Xanga.com. I really think you would enjoy it even if you only participate once.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whilikers! That's at least 10 times more amazing than I imagined! The buttons, the logos, the analogue sticks, incredible! I told you we would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i...love...them! ms humble...you're a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It would take me a ridiculous amount of time to do all that. I'm amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha! These are so great. I'm the same way in Halo, but I love playing it anyway...I think it's so neat that it's other real people running around trying to throw grenades at you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE THESE! Best!Cookies!Ever! So creative of you! They look so cute and life-like!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been totally inspired by your cookies and have been practicing myself. Its addicting! I was wondering if you can explain HOW you are able to pipe details that fine on the buttons? Its simply amazing work. All very creative and very well executed. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look amazing! I can't wait to try them out! What a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so awesome! I'm loving your science cookies - you're inspiring me to do some nerdy ones for my hubby too (he's a electrical engineer/computer nerd).

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a feeling that mine will not look anywhere near as cool as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. these are great!
    i would love to see an N64 controller though... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  24. these are super fabulous! thanks for the tip... I'll post today on my column (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com). brings me back to my cookie store days, oh so many orders for gamers and the like!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - those cookies are amazing! My family would love those! Maybe in the new year I could give it a try. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ha, these are WONDERFUL!!! I will have to show my boys, they will love them (probably just as much as we all loved your Peppermint Mocha fudge!! : ) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WHY am I just finding your blog? These are beyond awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. so cool! my boyfriend would absolutely love these

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those are so cool! Love the idea. You did a great job! If these are just the test cookies, I can't wait to see the finished product!
    Renee of Kudos Kookies

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow. They are actually amazing! I hardly even need to blur my eyes at all and they look like the real thing!
    The venn diagram made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Truly amazing.
    If I had the time, I'd make my little brother Wii controller cookies.
    Maybe next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are entirely, completely, totally FANTASTIC! My son would LOVE them. I LOVE them. I showed my husband... He loves them. Who wouldn't love them.

    We love them.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Omg those are extremely awesome. You're the best! So talented!

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are one of the best cookies I have ever seen! Way better than the dominoes and such! You have totally brought the 'game' to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Can I buy some of these cookies?? I'm throwing a game party at the end of January and was wondering if you actually sell what you make?? (I showed my kids and they are quite impressed : ) I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to purchase some from you as I know they'd be a hit at my party! Please let me know! You are so extremely talented and I have enjoyed following what you make : )

    Thank you!
    Robyn
    (You can email me at TTsDreamyTutus@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Now THESE are cool, it's about time you set up your own shop dontcha think?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ms. Humble,

    How did you make the wiimote buttons? You say in your post that you piped them...did you use the royal icing and just make it super thick? I don't know how you made it into the dome.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Pyrogirl,

    Yes, those buttons are just very thick blobs of royal icing piped on.

    You can also piped a circle, let it dry and then fill it with royal icing, if you're having trouble with your icing running.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks...I'll try the thick method.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi, I have a question about the royal icing. When I decorate cookies they come out looking well, even if I don't achieve the correct consistency, but I notice that when the icing dries it ends up looking sparkly instead of matte. Is this how yours looks, or could it be something I'm doing?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Christina,

    Sparkly? On the flooded areas?

    By sparkly do you mean that there is sort of a speckled, frosted look to them?

    If I thin my royal icing with too much water, I will get a patchy, frosted effect on my cookies when they dry. Most of my cookies have an even matte finish, the trick to this is getting the right icing consistency.

    Basically you need to use as little water as possible.

    A good rule of thumb is add a few drops of water to a cup of thick icing and then stir. Lift the spoon from the bowl and the peak it leaves behind should settle back into the icing within 5 seconds. If it doesn't, add a couple more drops of water and repeat until it does.

    That will clear up the icing's appearance, well... if I'm properly interpreting what you mean by sparkly.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yeah, the flooded areas sort of look like snow does the day after, slightly sparkly.

    When you mention adding too much water, that probably was my problem. I had a bit of difficulty achieving the proper flooding consistency. In the end I think it was thicker than I wanted (because I had to coax it with a spoon), and when it dried it wasn't matte. Thanks for the tip, I'll remember the 5 second rule!

    Could it also have been that I left them out overnight instead of covering the cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  43. I leave my cookies out to dry overnight too, so that probably isn't the issue.

    May I ask what your recipe for royal icing is?

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am sure they are going to devoured by the gamers as they hungrily eat up all the games.These look very lovely..true to real life.

    Xbox 360 accessories

    ReplyDelete
  45. These are cool cookies

    ReplyDelete
  46. cookies look amazing, very good piping skills too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails