Saturday, December 5, 2009

Broccoli Soup with Yogurt



Broccoli, like most green vegetables, was almost a curse word for me when I was growing up. I hated it.

Now that I am an adult, one who doesn't want to keel over before she hits 30, I try to eat healthy and that includes some of those green vegetables I abhorred as a child. I've since discovered that there are more palatable ways to prepare vegetables than the limp unadorned veggies that tend to accompany your standard American fare.

This soup is a good example of taking a once dreaded vegetable and making it into a dish I now crave. It is comforting and delicious as well as nutritious and low in calories (well, minus the yummy croutons). Something that I need right now, since I ate three pieces of fudge today...



Not so Humble's Broccoli Soup with Yogurt:
Serves 8-10

1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
4 cups broccoli florets
5 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 large russet potato peeled and cut into small cubes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
salt
pepper

plain yogurt
garlic croutons (optional)

Toast cumin and coriander seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until the cumin has darkened slightly. Grind the spices into powder and set aside. You could also use store bought ground cumin and coriander, however the flavor of whole toasted cumin and coriander is far better (if you do use pre-ground spices, use roughly half as much).

In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and saute for another 2-3 minutes. Add the broccoli and chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a medium low and cook for 10-15 minutes until potatoes and broccoli are tender.

Working in thirds, add the mixture to your blender and purée until smooth. Add half of the ground cumin and coriander mixture to the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve sprinkled with the remaining toasted cumin and coriander, a dollop of yogurt and fresh garlic croutons.

Not so Humble Garlic Croutons:
3-4 thick slices of pugliese bread cubed (or other similarly textured bread)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine oil, salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle over the bread cubes and toss. Spread on a shallow pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, checking often to give on occasional stir and make sure they don't over brown.


7 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I'm making this recipe right now and in the first step in the second paragraph, it says to add garlic. However, there is no garlic in the ingredients list. Just figured I'd let you know. :-) I'll let you know how it tastes garlic-less. I made your nutella-stuffed french toast last weekend and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good without the garlic! Wish I had made the croutons though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've omitted something during my write-up. Mr Humble needs to be a better editor, to account for how unreliable I seem to be when typing out my recipes. (Yup, all Mr. Humble's fault)

    The recipe needs 2 cloves of garlic, I've corrected the post. Thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The other day, my Beloved and I were talking about various soups I make, and I mentioned "Cream of Broccoli". My Beloved misheard and his ears perked up when he thought I said, "Cumin Broccoli Soup." He could not seem to recall me ever making that soup. I caught his enthusiasm and, upon returning home, googled "cumin broccoli soup" which brought me to your site. I made the soup tonight, and it was delicious. We will definitely have it again. And I look forward to trying out some of your other recipes. Glad I found you here in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, by the way, my Beloved is an astronomer. He loves the geeky science theme of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this soup last week, and it is RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS! The toasted seeds are in inspired touch that makes this better than any other broccoli soup I have ever made. Thank you very much for this recipe: it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails