Friday, December 18, 2009

Science Cookies: Zebrafish



Quick post tonight, because I am up to my elbows in icing trying to whip out several hundred cookies for a holiday party this weekend.

Tonight's cookie is yet another model organism, this time the humble zebrafish.

I finally had an excuse to use some of the edible glitter I have kicking around in my kitchen. However, once I cracked open the little jar and saw the fine powder, I was terrified of it.

Nothing that sparkly should be food safe, it just isn't natural. Granted, it does make the fish shimmer in a semi-realistic--and somewhat menacing--way. Like one of those frogs or insects that use brightly colored markings to indicate (or mimic) toxicity and deter predators from eating them. I found myself reluctant to take a bite.

Of course, I did try them. Two, actually, to see just how edible this 'edible glitter' really is. I expected it to be gritty or to add some texture but I couldn't actually feel or taste anything. They taste so... normal. Which I suppose is a good thing.

The one difference I did note was the absurdly glittery lips that resulted from eating these cookies. A plus I suppose, if you want to adopt that chic Patrick Tribett look.

24 comments:

  1. Hehehe, they are very cute but I imagine eating glitter would be a bit disturbing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I imagine they'll disappear faster than... well... than zebrafish in a developmental biology lab... :\

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute!! I LOVE the glitter! Although, I'm not sure I could eat it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just goes to show that one can put forth a great little blogpost in a limited amount of time. The edible glitter is definitely a two-word phrase that I've never uttered. The best thing about these cute little fish: No Bones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Still, I think those are great holiday cookies - with glittery lips you will look just right at your Xmas party :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this cookies, so funny!

    Check my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those look great! you are amazing!
    you should follow me too!
    http://missycopeland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cookies.. glitter and all. I also love your blog. So much so that I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The glitter's a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stumbled upon your blog when I pressed Volgende blog» (next blog in Dutch) at the top of my own blog page. Your posts are so entertaining and motivating. My only concern is trying to find some of the ingredients over here in Belgium!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's start the chant:
    SCIENCE COOKBOOK! SCIENCE COOKBOOK! SCIENCE COOKBOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  12. how did you get do the glitter?? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, these are so cute and I love the glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only been following you a short time, but wanted to say your posts are amazing! So professional, such beautiful photos. Thanks for taking us along for the culinary travels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Claire,

    ...and anyone else interested in adding a terrifying amount of shimmer to their baked goods. The edible glitter can be found here:American Silver Disco Dust, 3 grams

    ReplyDelete
  16. Next you should try a humuhumunukunukuapua'a fish....just cause it is so fun to say. And if you can't you need to visit hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful fish!!
    and edible glitter is pretty awesome. I wonder if they make anything edible that is glow in the dark...to make the glowing zebrafish :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Edible glitter? Why don't we have that in Germany? Not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww; I love fish and these are so sweet! Meaningfully sweet, that is(the work, the thoughts, the Humble baker).
    I love this whole blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. When I have kids I know how to make them eat fish ( Kids usually hate it).
    See you eat this fish, you get the other one as recompense. Ok. This is teaching kids how to suborn... so it's not as good Idea.
    It would make them eat fish though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where did you get the cutter for these cookies? I work with zebrafish and want to make these for a committee meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A good friend works with zebrafish, and he would get such a kick out these on his birthday! Where did you find the cookie cutter? The ones I've seen aren't the right shape.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails