Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sparkling Snowflake Sugar Cookies



Not all my cookies are nerdy; some are completely normal.

Here are some of the 200 cookies that kept me busy on Friday. These were packaged up in glass jars to be handed out as gifts. Others were laid out for munching at a holiday party this afternoon.

They were really simple to make (which is great when you're making hundreds), no food coloring needed, iced with a single tip and quickly decorated with scattered sugars and nonpareils.



To make these cookies I used my standard cookie and royal icing recipes (both are linked here). I used a few of my Fox Run Five Piece Snowflake Cookie Cutter Set to do the cut outs. I used the two largest cutters to do the cookies and then removed some of their centers with the two smallest cutters.



I made a batch of royal icing, and rather than mixing it to hold a stiff peak I added just a little more water. Not enough to make it suitable for flooding mind you, but just enough so that I could pipe my icing onto the cut out snowflakes and have it settle smoothly but not run off the edge. I filled my piping bag with this icing (reserving some for flooding) and used a small round #3 Ateco piping tip. On my cookies, I either piped the icing onto the entire surface or I did outlines and other simple designs. I then sprinkled some of my cookies with sanding sugar, coarse sanding sugar or nonpariels after I finished each one and set them aside to dry.



For the cookies without the cutouts I piped a border around the edge and flooded them with my remaining royal icing. I then either let these dry or sprinkled on more sanding sugar, coarse sanding sugar or nonpariels. For the cookies that I allowed to dry plain, I piped some additional designs ontop of the dry flood work (dots, stars, outlines and other simple designs). I then sprinkled these with sugar to help the designs stand out against the floodwork background.



One last nerdy note, a few of these cookie cutters could pass as fractals. Mmmmm, duel use cookies cutters.

31 comments:

  1. Stunning photos, cookies too beautiful too eat!!! Simply lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. I could not bear to eat them. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe, I love the last line, catering to us nerds, awesome! Those cookies are really pretty =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish I could do cookies like this. Snowflake cookies are what made me try the first time, but I failed. My I just can't get either the royal icing correct or my piping and flooding technique sucks. I will keep admiring your creations in the hopes that I will be inspired to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, these cookies are giving me a sweet tooth right now. These and your other cookies should give children (as well as teens and adults)a greater appreciation for math and science. The snowflake cookies are beautiful, but I believe my favorites are the gel electrophoresis cookies. (Been using it in my biology classes. It just now became more fun to me.) I also like the drosophila cookies, as I had fun playing with drosophila in Genetics. :) I kind of miss my little fly families.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you never seize to amaze me, those are some truly gorgeous cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I dream of your cookies...I still have not felt well enough to stand in my own kitchen after my clients, but I persevere, and cookies it will be...you give me a push with your beautiful skills!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow they look really cute. first look i thought you were using edible glitter again hehe. but it was sugar. i like them~

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh, fractals. no limit to the possibilities

    Also, it sounds like you need a new "science fiction" category: I piped a boarder around the edge. I want an interview with that boarder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The are beautiful and I am jealous that mine always look so plain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my this are so so beautiful. I just got my snowflake cookie cutter and will have to make some soon! Thank you for sharing your awsome pictures. Blessing, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gah I'm being fast and loose with the homophones! I should do science fiction about a land far, far away. A place where I can actually write.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are lovely! Do you ever flavor your icing with anything other than almond extract? Or use different types of cookies? If you do, what are the recipes for them?

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are beautiful. I love snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Generally, I flavor the cookies themselves (with almond extract being my go-to flavoring for 'plain' sugar cookies). To my standard cookie recipe I add cinnamon and other spices, vanilla bean or citrus zest (roughly a teaspoon or less, depending on the flavor).

    The royal icing can be flavored. You can add a teaspoon or so, of any kind of extract to your icing (vanilla, coconut, lemon, almond etc) for a little more flavor. Just use a little less water in the royal icing recipe to compensate for the moisture added by the extract.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AMAZING! Thank you for sharing. I love your blog! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! Thank-you for inspiring me today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just beautiful, I have not attempted sugar cookies yet, but this makes me want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey!! I am from Pakistan. I all the cookies you made,they amazed me. Wish i could learn it from you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. stunning cookies. the detail is fantastic and i like how you decided to use different textures on the cookies but keep them monochromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my goodness, are people actually expected to eat those beautiful cookies??? They are too lovely to consume!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a keen baker and cook myself I took great interest in your blog after finding it on 'Blogs of Note'.

    Those sugar cookies look amazing, too good to eat. Merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just beautiful!!!! And as a math teacher's wife, the fractal reference was quite amusing! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look AMAZING!! I'm not so good in the cookie area yet, still working on it lol. But WoW these are just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are lovely, but I like the nerdy cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think all your cookies are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful cookies! Makes me want to have Christmas all over again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails