Sunday, February 19, 2012

Macarons Framboise - Ladurée's Recipe


Well I'm back folks!

Not really, but bear with me I'll be back in the groove of things as soon as I'm settled. I really have been busy, juggling some major changes around here. You see, among other things, I'm buying a new house and dealing with all the madness that goes along with that process. It's been a hectic couple of months but hopefully, if everything goes well, I'll be baking future macarons in a brand new oven soon.

No, who am I kidding. The next several weeks will be spent packing and moving an entire household. Maybe replacing a few door knobs too, since our builder decided to go with a design that I can only describe as suitable for your Grandma's cottage--on Mars. Anyway, breaking in my bright and sunny new kitchen with a little baking will happen, I just need to get settled in.

Of course, this means you all have to wait and I just feel terrible about that. Those of you who check in regularly are just terrific and so patient and here I am producing nothing to entertain you. So here is what I'm going to do to make it up to everyone:

I'm going to forget this house craziness for the weekend, bake and give away a very lovely book.

And not just any book, a copy of Laduree's Sucre.



Say it with me now, folks: "Oooooooooh"

If you're not 'Ooohing', I'll assume you've unfamiliar with this cookbook. Sucre is an absolute jewel of a cookbook. The velvety little tome in Laduree's signature sea-green with gleaming gilt pages, wrapped in lavender tissue and nestled in a Laduree box. It is filled with such gorgeous photographs of dainty pastries that you will ache from an excess of sugar and cuteness.

It has a bird on it! Yeah!
Seemingly out of print, Sucre is just about impossible to get ahold of around here--unless you're willing to pay the exorbitant prices set by the very few people who have copies. As much as $999? Seriously. It's a rough market out there for shoppers looking for a copy of this book. In fact, I'm pretty sure I just made some Amazon Marketplace bookseller's boat payment for the month. But, I did what I set out to do months ago, that is actually get a copy of this perpetually-pending-restock book in my hands. So this week I'll be giving away a mint copy, unopened and in the original Laudree gift packaging to one lucky reader. For everyone else, the consolation prize is my decision to buy a second copy for the blog--so everyone will have a chance to see some of these recipes here on NSHP. Sound like fun?

I will note that the cookbook is indeed the English copy of Sucre--no French/English dictionary required--and it includes measurements in both weight AND volume.

So let's break out the book and give my kitchen here one last go before I start boxing up my pots and pans.

I think I know what recipe everyone wants to see too. One of the several Laduree Macaron recipes, right? Which one? Citron? Almond? Framboise? …Chocolate?


How about Framboise! Since it doesn't require me to run to the store. Don't worry though, I'll likely bake others from the book later on.

So this recipe, let's take a moment to talk about the cookbook, the recipe and how it went in my kitchen.

Right off the bat I'm going to warn you this cookbook does not hold your hand. It's very French, handsome and awesome--and you, as it's owner, are expected to be awesome too. At the very least, you're expected to have mastered some basic techniques, as it keeps the instructions succinct.

This recipe is within the general range of points tested during my French macaron madness period (the scatter plot macarons post). The almond flour ratio is towards the higher end, so it does give the cookie a more assertive and appealing almond flavor--especially if you grind your own almonds, as I do--and it is every so slightly less sweet than my own. Nor does it seem prone to large hollows if baked correctly, as every cookie I made was complete. This is all good, but these ratios do have their draw backs (as noted in my original scatterplot tests). The cookies are a bit heavier than my own and don't turn out quite as pretty. This can be considered a reasonable exchange though, as I think they taste a bit better.

24hr matured macarons.
See how the jam filling has absorbed into the once dry almond cookie?
 The cookie shell now gives way with a delicate crackle and the inside is now soft and tart with the flavor of fresh raspberries. 
There is one catch though to these macaron ratios. At the end of the recipe in italics: "It is possible your macarons shells will slightly crack on top for many different reasons….", it then goes on to pat your back and explain that it's okay and you may get it right in time.  It's almost like the author is right there, giving you a hug. Aww.

The recipe does seem to be more crack prone than my own. I had 2 trays that contained 30% burst shells out of 6. My first split shells in years. I'm pretty sure this was my own fault however, due to my oven temperature dropping nearly 50° after my first batch and then my putting new trays in while the oven bottom was hot and re-pre-heating. The back of my oven is also a hot spot and this is where all the burst shells were located. I allowed my subsequent trays of macarons to go into a properly pre-heated oven and everything worked out fine. Still, these cookies may be a bit more touchy when it comes to bursting.

Another somewhat non-issue issue: this is a rather large recipe. It makes a lot of trays of cookies (about 6 half sheets) and it is difficult to handle and bake that many cookies without allowing some of them to rest for ages on the counter. My advice if you're not going to divide the recipe is to pipe the cookies in stages while baking each batch. Avoid piping all the cookies at once. Macaron batter tends to be fairly stable inside of a piping bag, so pipe out trays and limit the resting time to 10-20 minutes. With prolonged resting periods I was seeing stunted foot formation.

Taste vs the real thing? Indeed the macarons shells are very similar in looks, taste and texture to bakeries' own cookies. They're very good.

Okay let's get to the recipe. I'll even throw you by-volume cooks a bone for once and include the measurements in cups for the recipe.


Laduree's Macarons Framboise 
Raspberry Macarons 
From Ladurée's Sucre: The Recipes 
Yields approximately 50-60 1" cookies


Macaron shells 
275g (2 3/4 cups + 1 tbsp) ground almonds (almond flour)
250g (2 cups + 1 tbsp) confectioners (icing) sugar
210g (6 1/2) egg whites (I used fresh egg whites)
210g (1 cup + 1 tbsp) granulated sugar
a few drops red or maroon food coloring gel

Raspberry Jam Filling
225g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) granulated sugar
2 tsp powdered pectin
375g (3 cups) french raspberries
1/2 lemon

Start by preparing the Jam. In a large bowl combine the sugar and pectin. In your blender or food processer, puree the fresh raspberries and then pour into a medium sauce pan. Over low heat bring the berries to just barely warm then add the sugar and pectin mixture and the juice from the half lemon. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for two minutes.

Pour the jam into a bowl and cover, allow to cool and then refrigerate until chilled.

(Note: It is perfectly okay to substitute your favorite store-bought or homemade jam to save on time. Pick a jam that is bursting with fresh flavor and isn't too runny.)

To make the macaron cookies. Preheat your oven to 300°F with an oven rack in the lower third (If your cookies tend to burst, move the rack higher. If your cookies tend to brown, move the rack lower).

Combine almond flour and confectioners sugar together in a food processer and blend thoroughly. Sift the mixture through a medium gauge sifter to remove any lumps or large pieces of almond and repeat until fine.

In a large clean dry mixing bowl, beat your egg whites until foamy and then slowly add the granulated sugar beating on medium speed. Once the sugar has disolved, increase speed to medium high and beat until a thick glossy meringue forms. Add the food coloring and beat briefly to combine.

With a large flat rubber spatula, fold one third of your sifted almond/sugar into the egg whites until combined. Repeat, until you've added all the almond mixture. How much mixing beyond incorporation is the tricky part to describe.

If you're used to my most recent macaron recipe, you'll find that this recipe needs a few strokes more mixing. The batter is thicker and packs a lot of air and if you don't deflate it during mixing your shells may have nipples or crack.

My batter could have used a few more turns of the spatula.
 It was still a little thick and piping left the nipples on the cookies seen on the left. A few smacks of the pan on the countertop helped level them before resting and baking.

Pipe your cookies onto parchment or silicone baking mats (I used parchment and a Ateco round #11 tip) and then allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before baking.

Bake one sheet at a time for 15 minutes. To prevent hollows, I recommend snatching one cookie from the oven and breaking it open prior to removing the cookie sheet. If the insides are still overly moist or molten, leave the cookies in the oven for 1-5minutes longer until the insides are set. This will prevent the insides from collapsing during cooling and forming hollows.

Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet.

Fill the cookies with a small dollop of jam and then arrange in an air tight container. Refrigerate the cookies for a minimum of 24 hours to mature. Then bring to room temperature and serve.

Enjoy!



Okay, so back to this cookbook and how you win it!

Let's do something silly… I have some jellybeans on my nightstand. Take a guess at either the number of jellybeans OR the total weight (in grams) of the jellybeans here in my possession at this very moment--I won't eat any, don't worry--and post below (those who can't post below can email me at notsohumblepieblog@gmail.com). You have until noon (PST) next Sunday to enter, then I will select the winner. (You can leave your email address below, to make it easy to contact you about the book).

The best guess will win the cookbook and ANYONE can guess. In the event of a tie guess, I'll flip a coin or use a random number generator. Yes, even my international readers can participate. I'll ship this book anywhere my local post office allows (Try not to be located at an antarctic research station, okay?). However, I can't be held responsible for any duties, taxes or crazy customs regulations that your country may engage in.

Thanks for being so patient while I settle into my new home!


269 comments:

  1. My brain insists on "52". So, 52 - not grams, but jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 33 pieces of Jelly Beans! *crossing fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  3. 24 because it seems nice two have two dozen jelly beans. My brain does not think in grams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see you back here. I'm glad you have some exciting things going on! I'll guess 73 jellybeans. I hope to see you around here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to guess... 84 jelly beans! Also, if I have too much batter, should I keep the excess batter in in the bowl or put it into a piping bag first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to keep it all in the bag. The batter quickly dries out and deflates in the bowl.

      Delete
  6. i think y have 45 grams of jelly beans :) or lets say i hope so :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmn, I'll go with 15 jellybeans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess 30 pieces of jelly beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going with 19 jelly beans. Don't know why but it sounds good. Thanks for the fun contest and congrats on the new digs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going with 103 jelly beans. I hope they're in a largish jar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 12 beans. God I would love that book. I think i'd be too afraid of damaging it to actually use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same way. I don't even keep it in my kitchen.

      Delete
  12. 38 grams. Don't know why but that's what came to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going with 90 jelly beans!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything is 42.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful book and macarons. I'll guess 44 jellybeans.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 105 grams of jelly beans!

    I am on a macaron kick right now! I've read all your macaron posts and pulled on my big girl pants. Kitchen scale purchased. Copper bowl acquired. Egg white powder ordered via Amazon. Announced my intent on Facebook cooking group. Need a free day (possibly Tuesday).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm, I will guess... 33 jelly beans!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 80 gr, and I miss you :)!
    I saw piles of this book last december in France - around 50 euros... And it is really good.
    Your Ladurée macarons looks like the real Ladurée ones.. Just have a look at them here:
    http://piszke.blogspot.com/2010/11/ajandek-macaronnak_16.html
    I got it from their Tokio store dircetly :), BUT it is absolutly right that they are...somehow heavier, and to tell the trouth I found the shell too hard and thick and dry...Perfect appearance, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I also found the shell is thicker on Ladurées. My cookies are more delicate, which I really enjoy but I will still hold this recipe in reserve for when I want to use moister fillings. These macs have great absorbency. Which to non-mac bakers may seem like a bizarre way to judge a cookie.

      Delete
  19. 42 beans, because isn't 42 supposed to be the answer to everything? sigh...i never win the jellybean guessing game. it's a beautiful book though!! Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 37 grams. Thanks for the lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Book looks adorable! Quessing 125 grams...

    ReplyDelete
  22. 16 oz. jelly beans

    fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a gorgeous book...
    I guess 125 jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 137 jellybeans. It's such a nice number :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did google change blogger? You can actually reply to individual comments now? Like.

    ReplyDelete
  26. 184 Jelly Beans if they're Jelly Belly! 102 if they're the bigger Easter-type! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for even being willing to have this giveaway...I'm gonna guess 67.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 33 Jelly Beans! Hope I am right. Would love to use this new recipe book for my new place!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'll guess 35g. Always such lovely macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  30. my guess is 7. just the few you had in your hand when you happened to put them down. that's what i'm hoping anyhow. sayslisa(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  31. 48 jelly beans. The macaroons are gorgeous - particularly the last picture where they look so pale and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *macarons (I guess autocorrect doesn't jive with the French spelling)

      Delete
  32. 42 is the answer to life the universe an everything which clearly includes the number of jelly beans on your nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm going to go low. (I mean, it's impossible to keep jelly beans in the high digits for prolonged lengths of time, right? Especially since we don't know if you ate any *prior* to this contest ;D) I'm guessing 10. Because it's a nice number, if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  34. 114 jelly beans!
    also I studied abroad in Paris, and this was a lovely trip down memory lane ...oh do I miss eating macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a gorgeous cookbook! I'm going to guess you have 33 jelly beans...right??

    elizabeth at sugarhero dot com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm going to say 342 jellybeans. I'm also going to say I need to make these ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  37. $999 that's insane! I felt bad paying £25 shortly after it came out! Mine is still wrapped in the tissue paper and box. Too pretty to use!

    I'm so insanely lucky that there is a Laduree 5 minutes from my office.

    ReplyDelete
  38. First of all, congratulations on your new house. :) "Ooooooooh...." Yes, I was oooohing when I saw this book that you're giving away! I love making Macarons and pastries. It'll be a dream come true to win this cookbook! My guess to the number of Jelly Beans on your nightstand.....hm...how about 144? That's the number of Jelly Beans. Don't ask me why 144 though...hahaha....wish you a smooth transition in the moving. Can't wait to see what you're going to bake up in your brand new kitchen. :) Take care.

    amy [at] utry [dot] it

    ReplyDelete
  39. 11 jelly beans! and these pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  40. 129 jellybeans, please?
    They look delicious. Someday, I will tackle macarons.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  42. My guess is 342gramms of Jelly Beans=)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hmmm, 150 jellybeans...crossing my fingers that Humble likes to keep lots of the sweet and chewy confections around:-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. 115 jellybeans!! Crossing my fingers and toes...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh those macarons look decadent!! n that book would be a dream come true!!! I would guess that you have 28 jelly beans.. fingers crossed!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I think 89 jelly beans! (fingers crossed SO HARD)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm guessing that you have a bag of jelly beans, so I will go with 340 grams. I would love to have a copy of this book and I am kicking myself for not pre-ordering it a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think 17 jelly beans! Would so love to have this book!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'm going to say 188 jelly beans! If I don't win, I'll have to head to Paris and pick up my own copy!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Welcome Back!
    I hope your moving in process goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  51. 77 Jelly Beans! Hope the move goes well!
    ~Megan Pence
    wannabeacountrycleaver@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm going to guess 75 jelly beans. Bonniehubbard@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your macarons are even more beautiful than the ones I have actually bought at Laduree. I guess they lose a little of their perfectionism when made in bulk?

    I guess 71 jelly beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. 48 jelly beans.

    I DO hope I win this, because yes, I did go "Oooooooooh" and I want this SO bad.

    have fun getting settled!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Those are beautiful macarons! I have missed seeing your posts and am so glad to hear about how you're going! My guess is 53 jelly beans. Fingers-crossed! eatplayshop@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. Let's go with 292 grams. And I oooooh-ed several times during this post. First, when I saw you had posted (yay! yay! yay!) and again with the cookbok...and then again with the yummy pinkness. :)

    Good luck with the move! henleymd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. 61 jelly beans, a dainty number.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I'm going to guess 50 jellybeans even. Because I can make 50 macarons every batch:)

    I love your recipes! I'm only 16 and mass-producing macarons for my family and friends! My dad is guilty of eating multiples at a time. Anyways, thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  59. 101 grams and congrats on your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  60. I'm going to guess 42... because, well... 42 is The Answer... who's to stay "How many jellybeans are there sitting on Mrs Humble's bedside table?" isn't The Question?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  61. 205 g of jelly beans. Lovely macarons. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  62. I'm going to guess 67 Jelly Beans, who knows why. Would SO love this book. Yeah pretty sure I would be too afraid to put it in my kitchen... I think I'd keep it on my coffee table so I could walk by and oggle it when I wasn't reading it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  63. I guess 41 jelly beans, thank you for the wonderful opportunity to own this book!
    tammybon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  64. 43 jelly beans. Trying to get up the courage to try a batch!

    ReplyDelete
  65. 64 jelly beans! I had an epic macaron failure for Valentine's Day, but luckily my Valentine is the sort who happily ate them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  66. 14 cause it is my favourite number.

    I literally squealed when I saw the title of this post in my reader. Hoping to find the time to spoil myself by making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  67. I'm going to guess 50 jellybeans!

    Just wanted to let you know what ever since I discovered your posts on macarons, it has sent me on a bunny trail to start up my own macaron business! :)

    www.atasteofkoko.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. I'm going with 47 jelly beans. I don't know why. I just am.

    Happy to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Don't know why but the number 7 comes to mind so I'll say there are 7 jelly beans. HAppy packing...and enjoy your new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. Congratulation on your new house, with new bright kitchen, new oven, and all new excitement to make it home... all the hectic time will bring satisfaction... soon. Oh, I saw that book in France last month and my mouth watered looking at the pages. So now, let me guess... 13 jelly beans?

    ReplyDelete
  71. I love jelly beans so I'd probably buy a big bag and then feel guilty eating them all and subsequently end up with a lot of uneaten jelly beans so my guess is - 143 jelly beans!

    On another note, really pleased to see you're alive and well!

    ReplyDelete
  72. 250g of Jellybeans, give or take a few that got nibbled when they first arrived

    ReplyDelete
  73. 147 jellybeans! Thanks, and best of luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  74. 284 Jelly Beans! Yum, now I need some beans!

    ReplyDelete
  75. I guess there are exactly 22 jelly beans on your nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
  76. 43 jellybeans. And man, can you bake or what? Your end-product always looks so phenomenal.

    btw- never trust a builder with finishes and fittings. Even the ones with The Best Taste often get it wrong - because it's either their taste or taste geared to the widest range of prospects.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  77. 34 Jellybeans!!

    They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  78. Boy, this is tough! Do you have a whole jar or just a small bag. Hmmmmm. I'm going to guess 107 with my eyes closed and my fingers crossed VERY tightly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  79. I will guess 49 jelly beans (that use to be 50 before someone walked by and popped one in their mouth. :) That's how it would go at my house anyway...)

    ReplyDelete
  80. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  81. I'm going to guess 29 jellybeans. :D

    Hopefully your move goes smoothly!

    naitomea.lulu[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  82. My guess is 27 jelly beans! :3

    miss.jely[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  83. Welcome back!
    The macarons look lovely.. It may be the time to try some new recipes (I'm used to tartelette's, didn't try yours, yet).
    About the jellybeans.. I guess 10 :)
    P.S.: You know, whenever I add a blog to my RSS list in iGoogle page, that specific blogger becomes busy!
    I don't know what does it mean...Am I that evil?!

    ReplyDelete
  84. I think 47 jelly beans.I still haven't made macarons as I find them so sweet. Tart raspberries might be just the thing, and that book is gorgeous. I hope the move goes very smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  85. I'm going with my favorite number: 33 jellybeans!

    ReplyDelete
  86. I am not going to enter this giveaway because I got the same book too! I was going to get it from Amazon.com and when I see the price tag I was in shocked - especially Chapters in Canada is selling them at regular price. What's Amazon thinking? Anyway...

    I have tried their chocolate macaron recipe and they taste awesome! The fact that the recipe contains actual melted chocolate just makes them apart from regular chocolate mac recipes! Love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  87. 72 Jelly Beans! Now, onto your macarons - not pretty? They are pretty out of this world! I bet they taste brilliant. Such goregous photography!

    ReplyDelete
  88. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  89. 45 jelly beans!!!

    this book looks soo beautiful i would love to just flip through the pages.

    I've made ur macs and it is the the most consistent reliable recipe i have tried.

    THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  90. Oh those look so good! I want to make some macs now! My guess is 17 jelly beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  91. 226 g of jelly beans. Mm, makes me want some. Laduree=love.

    ReplyDelete
  92. 31 beans!! you are driving me crazy. 31! 31! 31!

    ReplyDelete
  93. 33 jelly beans. :)
    carmen.w21@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  94. I'm envisioning a small bowl so I'll go with 25 :)

    ReplyDelete
  95. Mrs. H,

    Using your tips and troubleshooting post, my macarons turned out really well. Your very scientific explanations help clear up alot of issues I was having with my macarons. So, Thank You!

    All right - for the jelly beans. Someone took the number 13 so I can't use that. I'll go with 24 jelly beans.

    Thanks again for your posts. I enjoy reading them. I guess I'm not the only crazy OCD person out there.

    Misheil

    ReplyDelete
  96. I've missed you so! Thanks for your update. I'm going to guess 43 jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  97. 67 jelly beans, and those raspberry macarons look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Well hmmm, i guess it somewhat depends on if the bag is open, lol. I think I will guess 208.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  99. I would love to win a copy of that book! My guess is 59 jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  100. I want that booooook!!! And if I get i'll take it as a sign of the universe telling me to attempt making these incredibly tricky cookies for the fourth time. My guess is 37 jelly beans.
    my e-mail is raquelamendes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  101. Hrm... one can never have enough jelly beans... I guess that you have 8.6 ounces on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  102. I'll guess 21 jelly beans. It seems like a good number, plus I'm guessing on Mardi Gras. Those macarons look amazing, and I've been trying to gather up my courage again to make some. Didn't go so well the first time. Congrats on the new house! My e-mail is s_haumann2010@knights.ucf.edu
    Laissez les bon temps rouler!

    ReplyDelete
  103. 91 jelly beans!
    Can I ask as to the difference between regular raspberries and french raspberries?

    ReplyDelete
  104. hmm i have this book too, did you also try their method of saving half an egg white and incorporating it in at the end? i noticed in your recipe here you just beat all the egg whites together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. When making these cookies I overlooked that part of the instructions, assuming they were put together like almost every other macaron. Next time I make them, I will test them with the half egg white. The lightly beaten half white may improve the issue I had with so much volume in the batter.

      Delete
  105. I want to say...207 jelly beans! This cookbook seems..beyond amazing. I don't think I could convince my husband to let me buy a $500 cookbook...

    ReplyDelete
  106. I think you have 12 jellybeans.

    Katherine_Garretson@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  107. I think you have 128g of jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  108. I can't believe there is an English version of the book! I have the French version and while my French is ok, sometimes I do have to break out the dictionary.
    I have made one the cakes in there (the one with strawberries around the edges, it has a cream inside, no clue on the name ATM) and it took me AGES. I love baking but since I made that cake 2 years ago I haven't made anything else from this cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  109. 46. wish you happiness in your new home

    ReplyDelete
  110. I'm just starting to learn macarons and so fortunately found your site through Vivian Macaron. I'll be spending DAYS going through previous posts! As for the jelly beans, if you like them enough to keep them by your bed, I'm going to guess you have around 327 grams of jelly beans. Hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  111. I'm going to guess 28 jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  112. I'm gonna guess 83 jelly beans.

    And thank you so very much for your Macaroon 101 post. It's the best. Am still getting hits and misses with my macaroons, but will try and try again (cause you make them look so pretty)!

    ReplyDelete
  113. Hi Mrs. Humble! I was just curious as to what food coloring you use? I've tried soooo many times with different food coloring but I don't get a beautiful color like you when I make macarons... I can't get a beautiful pastel color because every time I do, for some reason it comes out -- ugly? I can't really explain but the color just doesn't show through as well as I hope it would.. can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  114. 78 jelly beans! I baked my very first batch of macarons with your recipe last year! Turned out fantastic! Will definitely try this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  115. I haven't been on the macarron world for so long it hurts!!! I want that book!!! and I'm so glad I'm still on time!! so I will say 120 gr jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  116. 115 jelly beans. Definitely.

    We've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  117. 81 Jellybeans! So glad you're back! Thanks for the recipe too. And good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  118. Methinks it could be 18 jelly beans...

    ReplyDelete
  119. 134 Jelly beans! And even if I've never commented on any post before - I LOVE your blog! your perfectionism and sciency nerdiness makes me sooooo happy <3 everytime I go in a bakery and they sell expensive layer cakes there I look at the layers and well.... they're usually crooked and not even at all!! ;) But your pictures are marvellous! I come here for inspiration so often... Thank you! Fellow-biologist Kate

    ReplyDelete
  120. 111!

    whitney at serenityco dot com

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  121. 86! that is such a beautiful book. hope your moving is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  122. 3 jelly beans - I think you've eaten all the rest! So glad to see you back - can't wait for the 1st recipe from your new kitchen.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  123. 68 jelly beans. Fingers and toes crossed. I love your blog Ms Humble. I've tried a lot of macaron recipe but only yours works the best. Perfect macarons just like paris every single batch. Keep em coming Ms Humble and thank you for educating us.

    ReplyDelete
  124. I'm not sure what to do to try to win your book, but everyone seems to be guessing a number of jellybeans? I guess 77. I hope I win! I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! My sister and I are going to Paris in May and I can't wait to taste a french macaron! I'd never be able to afford this book (my sister is paying for paris, what a wonderful sister!)so I would be forever grateful! Lori F. mlfetterman@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  125. I'm going to guess... 12 jellybeans!

    ReplyDelete
  126. I think you have 8 jelly beans in your nightstand. saulocamarotti@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  127. 24 jelly beans. It's a good number :)

    ReplyDelete
  128. I'm going with 38 jelly beans. :) roy_san21@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  129. dear ms. h…so glad to see this glorious post!
    16 jelly beans is my guess!
    btw: how are the little h's doing?
    all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little H's are getting so big! The last several months have just been a blur. The baby is already crawling and he eating everything his big sister drops--and she sure does drop a lot.

      Delete
  130. 56 jelly beans, as I think no one has said that number yet.

    ReplyDelete
  131. I'm gonna go on a limb and say 7 jelly beans. They can't possilby last long that close at hand...

    ReplyDelete
  132. I have to go with 63 jellybeans!
    Congrats on the house purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  133. didn't read any of those guess, so I'm going with... 42 grams worth.

    great to see you back to the old grinstone nonono I mean "the blog" :)

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  134. Another batch of gorgeous macarons. I love reading your blog not only for the recipes and tips, but also because of the beautiful pictures. They all make me want to bake and eat (though mostly eat). I first came across your blog while looking for tips on macarons and I must say, to me, yours is really the best. Having said that all my attempts at creating macarons in my own kitchen failed miserably. After numerous attempts I just gave up. No macs for me. However, seeing these beautiful macs on your blog yesterday made me want to try try and try again. So I did. This time I made the almond meal myself and guess what, I succeeded! Take that overexpensive almond meal from the specialty shops (it's not a very common good here and when you find a shop that sells it it's often in tiny 100 gram packages....)!
    Well, my macs are still not perfect as they did brown a slight bit, but they had nice feet, were done perfectly on the inside and NO air pockets. Woohoo!!! Oh, and they tasted great as well. I was already a fan, but now I'm obsessed. Can't wait to try making some again so this saturday is macaron day at my house!

    Oh, and I'm guessing 2 (as in jelly beans).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near perfect macs is great progress!

      To prevent browning try shielding the top of the cookies by placing an empty cookie sheet on a rack above them, or simply baking them on a lower rack in the oven.

      Also, I'm with you on the grinding one's own almonds. Less expensive, easy (if you have a food processor), and I think it tastes more almond-y. Yum.

      To other folks considering grinding their own almonds like Sjak: Remember to grind your nuts with the recipe's powdered sugar. Otherwise you may find yourself making almond butter, not almond flour.

      Delete
  135. I'm going to say 73 jelly beans, because Sheldon said that's the best number :)

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  136. Oh my, how I would love to have that book :-)
    I'm very thankful I've found your blog and have been reading faithfully. And using your recipes faithfully also :-)))
    I've read your macaron posts probably 200 times before I started to make some on my own. They turned out great, thanks to you! So I'll say you have 200 jelly beans on your table :-)

    ReplyDelete
  137. I'm coming in at 123 jelly beans. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails