Saturday, March 20, 2010

Jour du Macaron (Macaron Day)


Happy Macaron Day everyone!

This year macaron day falls on a Saturday, which is unfortunate since I'm not in the habit of blogging on weekends. However, I couldn't just let it pass unmarked so here I am, prying myself away from my usual weekend chores (WOO!) and yes, I have macarons.

Though, I didn't bake these macarons. I bought them! No, not at a fancy bakery, at Trader Joe's. Yes, the quirky little grocery chain with ceder walls and Hawaiian shirt garbed crew. That Trader Joe's.

I was there today stocking up on my usual TJ's staples and lo and behold in the freezer case I notice a box of Trader Joe's macarons! Of course I was instantly curious about mass produced macarons. It is my macaron fanatic duty to test any that I come across.


So after a long morning of errands I get home to a nicely defrosted box of macarons which I immediately tear into.



Awww, some of my macarons are smooshed. Oh well, they're delicate cookies and that they're not all mangled is probably a blessing.

So I dig in. Happy Macaron Day to me!

Naturally the first one gets sliced open with a sharp knife, I want to see the interior of this cookie.



Ah ha! Air pockets. I'm feeling better now. They're small pockets though and the shell does contain a nice fluffy interior.



So I try the chocolate. It's not too bad, the texture is better than expected for a frozen/defrosted macaron. The shell is fairly crisp and the interior is nice, though a tad chewy. Forgivable since these are chocolate macs, the addition of cocoa does change things a bit.

The flavor is nice and I like that it isn't too sweet.

Next I try the Vanilla.



These are quite nice. I'm pleasantly surprised by the light and delicate texture. Not bad for a mass produced frozen macaron. The taste is sweeter and a bit reminiscent of vanilla filled wafer cookies. Not a bad association because I love wafer cookies, though that particular flavor is a little unexpected.

Overall I like the light and custardy taste of the vanilla, a bit more so than the chocolate. (Though I certainly wouldn't kick the chocolate out of bed.)



Verdict: I'm not going to go all food snob on these macs, I actually liked them. They were far better than expected (Though I admit to having pretty low expectations going in). Would I buy them again? Probably not, after all I can easily make them fresh from my own oven and frequently do.

However if I lost both my hands in a freak llama attack and I was doomed never to bake again, then yes I'd probably make a point of picking these up.

http://www.traderjoes.com/
Price: $4.99 for a dozen
(Rumor has it they are not available at all locations, so call ahead if you're planning on making a long trip.)

15 comments:

  1. Wow. They look pretty good, too. I don't like macarons (*gasp*), but I still think is a cool find. Now I really know that Trader Joe's has everything. I wish there were one (or a million) in Texas. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha, so that's why you won't let Mr. Humble have a llama!

    Thanks for the tip about TJ's macarons. I'm unlikely to make them myself, but I have easy access to a TJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Macaron Day!

    I never would have thought they were purchased from TJ's at first glance. They look really good, though, I have to say. I'll have to ask my parents to bring some over so I can taste-test it myself. I'm curious about the taste of a $4.99/dozen macarons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loooooooooooooove trader joes they have the most unique items and for good quality too! glad you had a pretty good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never even heard about mass produced frozen macarons lol Those look good, and the price seems reasonable. And what a great review too, btw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with you - the vanilla macarons were great (I thought) and the chocolate ones weren't. We wanted to try them because I've never had a macaron and before I go through the trouble and headache of making them wanted to make sure we would like them. On my list of things to get cracking on..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried a macaron so this may be a good way to see if I like them before actually attempting to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wish we had a TJs close by - we are in the middle of Michigan and there's nothing like a TJs. Cool find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. to "amuse me", take a trip to Ann Arbor. We have a TJs here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought these were okay-I liked the chocolate ones better-Starbucks is also now selling packaged macarons. It is rather sinful as they are meant to be eaten fresh and not out of a box.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried macaroons not too long ago and thought they were great! These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you ever thought about selling your macaroons on Etsy? If you don't live around a Trader Joe's or a specialty bake shop (even though I live in a city & have never seen them sold in real life here) then macaroons are nearly impossible to come by! I am also way too lazy to make them on my own so I would definitely be a patron!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope Trader Joes sent you money and/or baking supplies 4 this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just in case you have not seen these cute food earrings! and these ones just happen to be macaroons!!

    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=43321396&ref=fp_feat_13

    ReplyDelete
  15. DeluxeGourmet,

    Nope, and I had to buy my own box! Probably a good thing too. If I was offered freebies just for eating macarons I'd be in trouble.

    Blair,

    Those are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails