Saturday, November 14, 2009

Street Food Munchies: Curry Puff



I had a sheet of puff pastry left over from last night's hand pies, so I opted to quickly whip up some curry puffs this morning.

They are a ubiquitous street food in both Singapore and Malaysia, filled with... well just about anything. I've also had these stuffed with a chicken curry mixture my favorite local dim sum place. My version replicates the puffs served at the Chinese dim sum place (baked, not deep fried and topped with toasted sesame seeds), though I believe authentic Chinese curry puffs (咖哩角) are closer to the Malay version than this Seattle dim sum dish. Nevertheless, that doesn't make my somewhat inauthentic curry puffs any less good.

Stuffed with saute onions, potatoes, chicken and spices these things get gobbled up as quickly at home as they do over cups of tea on Sunday mornings in Seattle's international district.

1 comment:

  1. i love curry puffs! i use a regular pastry, not puff, recipe and it's good too. baked b/c i don't have a deep fryer, although i'd love one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails