Saturday, November 14, 2009

Egg Nog Cheesecake



Next cheesecake: Egg nog!

I really like egg nog. Enough to create this delicately flavored cheesecake version of the beverage and partially because egg nog alone just wasn't bad enough for a person.

Though I know objectively, egg nog is a pretty weird beverage. My Indian friend Binder told me that egg nog was one of my culture's most frightening holiday creations. She is probably right about that. Cream, booze and lots and lots of eggs. Not usually the sort of beverage that would get me salivating. While I agreed it was an odd drink, I reminded her about those salty yogurt milkshakes she likes so much (salt lassi). We then had a lengthy debate about the relative weirdness of each drink. I think egg nog lost...

Anyway! Enough with the cultural relativism ramblings... on to the cheesecake.



Not so Humble's Egg Nog Cheesecake:

Crust:
1 1/2 cup of graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter melted

Filling
4 8 oz packages cream cheese (at room temperature)
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 teaspoons dark rum
1 tablespoon brandy
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup fresh egg nog
4 large eggs (at room temperature)

boiling water

Topping
1 cup heavy cream

1 to 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla
nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 10 inch spring form pan with butter and parchment.

Combine the ingredients to make the crust and press into the bottom of the spring form pan. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack, reduce oven temperature to 320°F.

In your stand mixer, using the paddle attachment mix the cream cheese for about 4 minutes until smooth. On medium speed, slowly pour the sugar into the cream cheese scraping down the sides of the bowl well. Add the dark rum, brandy, vanilla and spices and mix. Sift the flour into the mixture. Reduce your mixer's speed to low and add the egg nog mixing well. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each one is just incorporated taking care not to over beat the mixture.

Pour the mixture into the pan with the crust. Set the pan on two sheets of aluminum foil and smooth them up the sides of the pan making it water tight. Set the pan into a roasting pan and place in the oven. Carefully pour boiling water into the roasting pan, till it reaches about half way up the side of the cheesecake. I shouldn't have to say this but I will, don't fill the pan above the level of the foil. Cheesecake soup isn't fun.

Bake for approximately 60-70 minutes until cake is set but center is still slightly wobbly. Carefully remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Chill for at least 6 hours, ideally overnight.


Before serving make the whip cream, dollop onto the cheesecake and grate fresh nutmeg on top.


Not a single crack! Mmmmm gorgeous cheesecake.

11 comments:

  1. I've only developed a taste for egg nog treats in the past few years. Although I will not drink egg nog itself, I like things such as egg nog lattes, or cakes, or cookies. This cheesecake looks awesome. What a great gift for the holidays. You are just on a cheesecake roll! And no cracks??? No way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, one more thing....you didn't mention if you were crazy about this recipe or not. Would you recommend this cheesecake recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No cracks at all, this cheesecake was a big surprise. This is a recipe I had basically made up on the spot in my kitchen yesterday, so I was expecting something to go wrong (falling, cracking, exploding). Go figure, the cheesecake I have the least confidence in this week comes out of the oven looking amazing.

    The cheesecake itself is good, both in flavor and texture. It is slightly silkier and lighter than my pumpkin frangelico with a subtle taste of egg nog. I played it pretty safe with the spices and liquors as this was my first time making an egg nog cheesecake and I think a little egg nog flavor goes a long way, particularly in an already rich cheesecake.

    I'm really pleased with the recipe and how this cake came out. So yea, I'd recommend it, with the disclaimer that it hasn't been thoroughly kitchen tested yet. I'm going to have to make it again soon just to make sure I didn't get lucky with this perfect looking cake. That and I want to eat it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sound like an amazing cheesecake! I wish I could taste a piece right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very tasty. I'm glad that I stumbled on your blog and I'm thinking this will be perfect for Thanksgiving. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Blog!!!
    I used your recipe in my most recent post on Caramel Apple Eggnog Cheesecake. Delish!

    http://eatrunread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you use rum flavoring instead and how much? I don't use alcohol in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you can use rum flavoring extract (1-2 tsp is my best estimate) and a little more nutmeg in the alcohol free version of this cheesecake. I recommend you taste the batter, adding a little at a time to get the desired flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cheesecake looks amazing. I am going to try this! I'm a new blogger, and just looking at yours has inspired me to try some new things on mine. I like the set up you have... Still struggling and pondering!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails