Sunday, November 15, 2009

Nutella Stuffed French Toast


This dish is for my favorite St. Louis couple, who recently discovered the joys of Nutella. I wanted to share one of my favorite ways to eat the stuff... one that doesn't involve sneaking spoonfuls straight from the jar. Something I never do. Never.

Anyway...

I've taken french toast, tarted up the batter with cocoa, dredged it in chocolate cookie crumbs and stuffed it with Nutella. Toss this in a panini press and it cooks it up light and crisp on the outside and a hot and gooey in the middle. Yum!

I've taken the toast and topped it with a little powdered sugar, fresh whip cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce, because with french toast like this, there really is no point in holding back.

Not so Humble's Crumb Coated Nutella French Toast:
8 slices of french bread or brioche
1/2 cup chocolate wafer or cookie crumbs
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon cocoa powder
pinch of nutmeg
Nutella

Serves 4

For this dish, I've taken a homemade baguette and sliced it into four 4" lengths.

Remove the crust and slice it down the middle. Coat one side of each slice with a liberal amount of Nutella and set aside. Get your panini press hot or place a skillet on medium heat.


In a shallow bowl mix eggs, milk, cocoa powder and nutmeg. In a second bowl place the chocolate crumbs. Dip the non Nutella coated side in the egg mixture and then dredge it in the cookie crumbs and place it on the panini press nutella side up. Repeat with a second piece of toast and place that one, nutella side down on top of the first piece. Close the press and cook for 2-3 minutes. If using a skillet, cook roughly twice as long, flipping once.

The toast is now ready for whatever toppings you can dream up.




3 comments:

  1. Great breakfast idea! I will try this with Miss H this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy!!!!! I sent it to my aunts and told them we need to make it next Thanksgiving. We always make some sort of french toast for breakfast the morning after, this looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those seem yummy. I love Nutella. I currently own a jar and I stick a spoon straight in and eat it. It's only mine so that's why I don't mind. By the way, it would be lovely to see you create something about Hello Kitty since you're so talented.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails